John Holland awarded $276m contract with Rio Tinto's Cape Lambert Port B Project
John Holland has been awarded a $276 million marine contract which forms part of the early works for Rio Tinto’s Cape Lambert Port B Project in Western Australia’s north-west.
The contract package involves the construction of a 920-metre jetty and two-berth wharf, new shiploading facilities and associated piping works.
The new port will be located at the Cape Lambert iron ore facility at Port Walcott, approximately 40 kilometres east of Karratha in Western Australia.
Construction will commence immediately with completion expected late in 2012.
The project, to be delivered as a collaboration between John Holland’s Energy & Resources and Western Region businesses, will increase capacity at the Cape Lambert port by 50 million tonnes per annum.
John Holland’s Group Managing Director, Glenn Palin, said: "Today’s announcement builds on our extensive experience delivering marine extension works in the resources sector.
"In bringing together the specialist skills of our Energy & Resources business with the civil construction skills of our Western Region business, the contract highlights the value of our internal collaborative model for clients looking to develop large and complex construction projects."
General Manager of John Holland’s Energy & Resources business, Brendan Petersen, said the contract win consolidates John Holland’s existing relationship with Rio Tinto.
"We are encouraged by Rio Tinto’s commitment to invest additional capital into the development of projects in the Australian resources sector and look forward to further strengthening our well established relationship with them over the next few years."
He continued, "John Holland has a long history in the minerals sector and a proven track record in the delivery of large-scale marine infrastructure projects. This contract adds to our portfolio of recent work in this area, including completed expansions of the Abbot Point Coal Terminal in Bowen, Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal in Mackay and the RG Tanna Coal Terminal in Gladstone, along with the delivery of new processing facilities as part of BHP Billiton’s Rapid Growth Project 4 in Newman, Western Australia."
General Manager of John Holland’s Western Region business, Adam Harry, said that the contract affirms John Holland’s leading position in the competitive Western Australian construction market.
"Our civil construction business in Western Australia continues to grow on the back of increasing investment in the Australian resources sector; we look forward to demonstrating the value of our collaborative model by working in close partnership with our colleagues in the Energy & Resources team to successfully deliver this project."
Most Popular News
- Land diversion plans for $3b Hydro Power Plant approved by Indian Government
- $1.6b mining project in the Philippines receives environmental clearance
- Works for $2.7b airport project to commence shortly
- Thai companies to develop $2.2b special economic zone in Tanintharyi, Myanmar
- Four Registrations of Interest for major rail project in NSW Illawarra region
- Planning approval granted, preferred contractor named for $154m tower in Western Sydney
- Preferred contractor revealed, opportunities to come from $95m, 13-level addition to private health facility in Sydney
- Head contract awarded for gas facility project in south-western Sydney
- Plan for a $118 million industrial park development in Western Sydney is on display
- Four parties on shortlist to build Australia’s highest tower in western Sydney
- Business Development Manager - IN-Fusion Management Pty. Ltd. - Sydney - 18 Apr 2015 - April 20 2015
- Construction Business/ Project Manager - B SERIES Group of Recruitment Consultancies - 17 Apr 2015 - April 20 2015
- Business Development Manager - Top Tier Builder Construction People Pty Ltd - Brisbane - 17 Apr 2015 - April 20 2015
- Business Development Manager - Redpath Partners Pty Ltd - Melbourne - 8 Apr 2015 - April 13 2015
- Business Development Manager (WA/NT) - Upstream Production Solutions Pty Ltd - 8 Apr 2015 - April 13 2015