John Holland awarded $276m contract with Rio Tinto's Cape Lambert Port B Project
John Holland has been awarded a $276 million marine contract which forms part of the early works for Rio Tinto’s Cape Lambert Port B Project in Western Australia’s north-west.
The contract package involves the construction of a 920-metre jetty and two-berth wharf, new shiploading facilities and associated piping works.
The new port will be located at the Cape Lambert iron ore facility at Port Walcott, approximately 40 kilometres east of Karratha in Western Australia.
Construction will commence immediately with completion expected late in 2012.
The project, to be delivered as a collaboration between John Holland’s Energy & Resources and Western Region businesses, will increase capacity at the Cape Lambert port by 50 million tonnes per annum.
John Holland’s Group Managing Director, Glenn Palin, said: "Today’s announcement builds on our extensive experience delivering marine extension works in the resources sector.
"In bringing together the specialist skills of our Energy & Resources business with the civil construction skills of our Western Region business, the contract highlights the value of our internal collaborative model for clients looking to develop large and complex construction projects."
General Manager of John Holland’s Energy & Resources business, Brendan Petersen, said the contract win consolidates John Holland’s existing relationship with Rio Tinto.
"We are encouraged by Rio Tinto’s commitment to invest additional capital into the development of projects in the Australian resources sector and look forward to further strengthening our well established relationship with them over the next few years."
He continued, "John Holland has a long history in the minerals sector and a proven track record in the delivery of large-scale marine infrastructure projects. This contract adds to our portfolio of recent work in this area, including completed expansions of the Abbot Point Coal Terminal in Bowen, Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal in Mackay and the RG Tanna Coal Terminal in Gladstone, along with the delivery of new processing facilities as part of BHP Billiton’s Rapid Growth Project 4 in Newman, Western Australia."
General Manager of John Holland’s Western Region business, Adam Harry, said that the contract affirms John Holland’s leading position in the competitive Western Australian construction market.
"Our civil construction business in Western Australia continues to grow on the back of increasing investment in the Australian resources sector; we look forward to demonstrating the value of our collaborative model by working in close partnership with our colleagues in the Energy & Resources team to successfully deliver this project."
Most Popular News
- Tenderers being shortlisted for $128m mining project in Central Queensland
- Plan for $192m, 77.5MW wind farm in NSW Southern Tablelands goes on show
- Tender to open in mid-August for oil and gas blocks in Indonesia
- Companies bid for $18b coal-fired power development in Thailand
- Tenders open for Metro project in India
- New authority to oversee Geelong construction and development
- A $331m solar energy tender to be released in India
- $190m Thai bio-petrochemical complex project undergoing feasibility study
- Plan for $70m warehouse and distribution facility construction in western Sydney
- Tendering process to begin for construction of $16m education facility in western Sydney
- Business Development Manager - Private Advertiser - Sydney - Full Time - Construction - 17 Aug 2015 - August 24 2015
- Technical Sales Manager - Mining - Drill & Blast - HJGDRILL GROUP - Perth - 22 Aug 2015 - August 24 2015
- Manager - Commercial & Technical - Michael Page - Perth - 18 Aug 2015 - August 24 2015
- Business Development Manager > construction - South East Asia - Dredging & Marine Construction - Hall Contracting Pty Ltd - Perth - 4 Aug 2015 - August 17 2015
- Tender Manager > Water & Waste Engineering > Veolia Water Solutions & Technologies Engineering - Sydney > Ryde & Macquarie Park - 17 Aug 2015 - August 17 2015